Grytviken (Norwegian for 'Pot Cove') is the principal settlement in the United Kingdom territory of South Georgia in the South Atlantic.
The settlement at Grytviken was established on November 16, 1904, by the Norwegian sea captain Carl Anton Larsen as a whaling station for his Compañía Argentina de Pesca (Argentine Fishing Company). It was phenomenally successful, with 195 whales taken in the first season alone.
The station closed in December 1966, by which time the whale stocks were so low that their continued exploitation was unviable. Even now, the shore around Grytviken is littered with whale bones and the rusting remains of whale oil processing plants and abandoned whaling ships.
coordinates : 54°16'53.93"S 36°30'30.38"W
pictures sources :
Richard Harrington's Antarctic
text source :